Friday, January 18, 2008

Vacation



Melanie and I are avid scuba divers. Every year we try and go on two tropical dive trips somewhere far, far away. Last year we went to Micronesia and visited the islands of Kosrae and Pohnepei. Then latter in the year we spent two weeks in Belize. Both trips were all that we hoped they would be. In fact we have yet to be disappointed.


This year we decided to take our vacation budget and get new furniture. We just purchased new living room furniture to replace our perfectly good couch and love seat. These things seem to be more important to Melanie than they are to me. I look at our nice leather couch and think, "there's a good place to sit and plan our next dive trip". She looks at them and thinks, "we've had this stuff for eight years, it's time to shop for furniture". Of course a couch leads to three other living room pieces and new dining room stuff as well as new bar stools for the kitchen breakfast bar.



I'm OK with it. Believe me, I'd rather be diving in the Maldives or the Galapagos, but Melanie being happy is priceless. It's hard to relate to or understand how this purchase, of which we have nothing in our possession yet, makes her so damned happy...........but it does. Seeing that makes staying home worth it though. I know it sounds Corny but, I just love it when she's really happy. Don't get me wrong, she loves the trips as much as I do. She does like new furniture a lot more than me though.


So I guess the plan is that this year we are going to have a lot more barbecue parties and use the house more. That will be fun. Somewhere in there I'm gonna get some local diving in too. Meanwhile, in a couple of weeks, after the furniture is all delivered, I'll take a nap on that couch and dream that I'm in a hammock in Indonesia. When I wake up, I'll be home with my beautiful wife. That's a good thing, another type of paradise, right here at home.

1 comment:

readypaleo said...

happy wife/happy life....home is where the heart is......I could go on and on...being at home with family is really what's important and especially since kids grow into adults way to fast.